What can I do ifmy ex has not gotten his court ordered life insurance policy and refuses to?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Okay so I am assuming that you have gotten divorced and that pursuant to the divorce agreement your ex was supposed to procure life insurance for the benefit of the kids, correct?  And he has not, correct?  Humm.  You can definitely take him back o court and request that the court hold him in contempt and bring a motion to compel him to comply with the agreement and all the requests associated with contracts (which is what a marital agreement is).  You can not bu the insurance yourself as you have no "insurable interest" under the law.  But I wonder if you could have yourself listed as the kids legal guardian and procure insurance for their benefit? Speak with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.