What can I do after my mother’s death February,

My sister called me on 2/8/17 and let me know my mother past away on
2/4/17. She said mom had left me 5000 in a trust and my sister
would pay it. But what she didn’t mention was my mother’s house
worth approx. 250,000.00. she said to me she is moving into my
mom’s house and selling her own. How can I find out if my mom left
her the house or she just gave it to herself and gave me 0?

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Mother died with a Will it would be probated in the courthouse.  If she dies without a Will then the intestacy statutes in California would apply and likely you and your sister would share equally.  Is it possible that your Mother tranferred the house to your sister prior to her death?  Sometimes parents do that for the child that cares for them. If this is the case then you would have to prove some sort of unde influence to have it set aside.  You sister could not just trasnfer the house to herself without being appointed in Court as the personal representative.  I, myself, would not call the attorney.  Rather I would hire my own - possibly on a flat fee basis to keep costs down right now - to send a few letters on my behalf and inquire as to the status of the estate and ask for documentation.  You can also do a title search on the property to see its status.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.