What can I do after an accident which was determined to be my fault but the other driver was speeding?

I was turning left with a green light, not an arrow. The other car was going straight. That driver admitted speeding to police but the police still determined that the accident was my fault.

Asked on February 18, 2013 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can try to sue the other driver for injury, costs, or damages; or if sued by him or her, could try to defend. Your argument in either case would be that the other driver was at least as much at fault, if not more, than you were. If you can show that, you may be able to win. The police report will be, unfortunately, strong evidence for the other driver, since it is evidence of your fault; it therefore hurts your case. However, a civil court in a lawsuit is not bound by the police report, so it is not guaranteed that you would lose--though the odds are against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.