What can I do about my boss/landlord who says I must continue to rent from her EVENTHOUGH I have no lease, just a verbal agreeement?

I moved to a new state for a job and my boss offered her rental to me for, at first, she said two months. After I was here for only 2 weeks she said she needed to know if I wanted to stay until August. I said yes because I had nowhere else to go. Now I know that she is charging me too much and have the opportunity to move in with a friend for half the cost. My landlord/boss says that I can’t and that I have to stay until I said I would originally. What can I do? I cannot afford this place, but I am fearful for my job?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your boss cannot fire you in retaliation, even though your state is an at-will employment state.

Try the following and then at least talk to an employment law lawyer.  Try www.attorneypages.com


In terms of your lease, it appears you have a month to month, and as long as you have given the requisite one month or one month and one day notice, you can leave. http://www.hud.gov/local/co/renting/tenantrights.cfm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.