What can i do about discrimination

An incident happened at my work my bosses claim may have happened on my shift they had no proof. I tried to explain that me being the only staff there after 6 pm watching 5 guys with intellectual disabilities plus cooking, cleaning and giving their meds I cannot see everything that goes on especially if I am in the bathroom or in the office preparing meds. I am a big guy not disabled just overweight they asked me if I would like a different shift I declined and explained my shift works out for my family. They told me they thought the other shift may accommodate me better because I would not have to get up and move around as much, I feel as if this was directed towards my weight seeing as I have successfully handled my job for almost 4 years. They also suggested that I fix my schedule where I don’t go to the bathroom after 6 pm I am there from 1 pm – 11 pm so they do not want me to use the bathroom for 5 hours?

Asked on October 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Weight is not a protected category or characteristic, unfortunately. That means that your employer or coworkers may "discriminate" against you due to your weight because it is only illegal discrimination if it is directed towards a protected category or characteristic--but, as stated, weight is not protected by law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.