What can I do about discrimination at my job?

I have been working at my job for over 2 years now and 2 months ago i had a coworker harass me for being gay. I went to HR and filed a report and they did nothing while it continued. The HR office has three reports now and the coworker is now an employee of the month. What can be done about the situation?

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

While federal (national) law does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, your state's law does (e.g. by Oregaon Revised Statutes Chapter 659A). Therefore, a failure by your employer to properly address a complaint of sexual orientation harassment--as this appears to have been a failure to properly address, by not only not sanctioning, but actually affirmatively praising, an employee committing harassment--may well be illegal sexual orientation-based employment discrimination. Contact the Oregon Civil Rights Division about potentially filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.