What can I do about a service that was paid in full but not received?

I hired a chef to come to my house and cook. He was paid in full and backed out at the last minute but was seen later that night and the next day cooking for other people. How can I get my money back?

Asked on January 8, 2018 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue him: that's how you get money from someone whom you paid but did not deliver the paid-for services. You would sue him for "breach of contract": for violating the agreement to cook for money, after you paid him. You honored your obligations (paid him); he was therefore contractually obligated to honor his obligations and cook. (Even if there was no written contract, you had an agreement with him about this; that agreement was an oral contract.) He cannot keep your money without performing. Assuming the amount of money is less than or equal to the small claims court limit, suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se," is a fast and cost effective way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.