What can I do about a house that is 11 years old and is falling apart ?

Ryland homes built my house
in 2006. Ive had many
problems from day one. Now
problems are getting
Roof repair. Insurance wont
cover because they say
shingles were improperly
installed. Several places
on ceiling are falling in
or water stained.
Cracks in foundation, not
small hair line cracks,
major cracks like house is
settling down the hill.
Concrete uneven and
Floors in house becoming
unlevel and uneven. Door
not square and not sealing.

Asked on October 30, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, 11 years is passed the period in which you can file suit against the builder. This time is known as the "statute of limitations". Once expired, no claims can be successfully pursued. In your state, you had 7 years in which to bring a legal action.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The problem is, at 11 years since you bought the house, you are long past the statute of limitations or time within which you must file or start a lawsuit for construction defects in your state, which is no more than 7 years after "substantial completion" of the home. Once more than 7 years have passed, it is to late to take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.