What can i do about a company lying about an accident I had while employed with them

I drive a semi and I had an accident
where a car sideswiped me. I have since
left the company but now they won’t
release the incident report to me and
are telling companies that I caused the

Asked on April 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way you can get the report (and also force them to provide information under oath--i.e. information for which they can be held accountable, if it comes out that they lied) is in a lawsuit: i.e. if you the at-fault driver, you can then use legal process (e.g. a subpoena) to get their internal report and to take the deposition (testimony) of their staff (e.g. management) under oach. (Though be warned: depositions can cost thousands of dollars, so unless *a lot* of money is at stake, a deposition is likely not worthwhile.)
If you believe that your former employer is lying about you a way that harms your reputation or harms you economically, you could also potentially sue the company for defamation: for making untrue factual claims or statements which damage you. In that suit, too, you could sue legal process to get information or documentation from them.
In short, you need a lawsuit to compel the release of information or documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.