What can I do about a charge I’ve gotten for letting my dogs run freely?

I am the only person charged with this in my county. In my neighborhood there are several dogs running freely, even my neighbor next door let’s his dogs outside. However, they want to charge me with a misdemeanor for it and I can’t afford a lawyer. My public defender is crap.

Asked on February 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Most municipalities, counties and states have leash laws for canines. If you do not like your public defender, I suggest that you meet with him or her and suggest a substitution of one that you can get along with. Another option is to go to your local legal aid clinic and see what one of its members can do for you as to your matter.

Most likely you might be able to get a plea deal done with court probation and payment of a fine where if you complete its terms the charge against you will be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.