What can we do if out apartment made us sick?

My girlfriend, baby and I moved into an apartment about 3 or 4 mouths ago. We’ve been getting sick off and on with headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness and loss of appetite. We didn’t understand why until a few days ago when we were checking over the smoke alarms; we noticed that we did not have a carbon monoxide alarm. We called the landlord and he came the next day and installed one. Later on that night when we returned home, we turned the heater on and after a few minutes the headache started to come back and the carbon monoxide alarm went off. We called 911 and they made us leave the apartment saying that the CO levels were to high. I would like to see what can be done about this.

Asked on February 12, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord cannot rent this place out. You need to inform your landlord you need to move due to the uninhabitabiliity of the unit. Contact the city building and safety department and fire department. You may need to sue your landlord for refund of your rent and other amounts due to your illnesses. DO not move back in. Immediately contact an attorney if the landlord is not willing to provide you moving expenses and return of your monies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.