What can happen to someone that is being accused of touching a minor inappropriately?

I have a friend who is being accused of trying to touch a minor inappropriately. He was drinking at the time and does not have any recollection of this event. The minor’s parents called the police. He has a clean record. Can you tell me if he has anything to worry about and what could happen to him. Does he need to speak with a criminal defense attoreny? In Butler County, PA.

Asked on July 30, 2010 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your friends should consult with a defence attorney IMMEDIATELY. Inappropriate touching of a minor can be a sexual assault or offense, with the severity depending on the exact circumstances (his age, her age, how touched, etc.). Being drunk is NO defense whatsoever to this, or indeed, any crime. Furthermore, in addition to the "normal" penalities that could come with any criminal conviction, being convicted of a sexual offense can result in being listed a sexual offender, which can have far-reaching and long-lasting effects on employment and residence. Hopefully, if no harm was done, nothing will come of this; but it's better to consult with an attorney, get advice, and have a laywer ready to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.