What can happen if parents have joint custody and the mother picks up the child for her visitation but the father is trying to stop her from getting the child?

Visitations are stated in the court order.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the perceived interference by the father with respect to a court order allowing the mother of the minor child to pick the child up for the mother's visitation, the mother would be entitled to file a petition under the law for an order to show cause regarding contempt of a court order against the father. If such a petition is filed and the court deems a violation and finds contempt by the father, the father could be fined and even jailed.

Not a good result for the father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.