What can be done if a payment that was submitted was not credited to an account?

Payment was made on 09/02/10 for car payment and still has not been credited to my account. Company will not follow through and credit even with proof.

Asked on December 27, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you haven't already, send them proof that the payment was in fact made--e.g. a cancelled check, a credit card statement, a bank statement, etc. Be sure to "redact" (or remove) any information you don't want to give you (like you bank account number) from what you provide. If that doesn't work, try "escalating"--send a letter noting that payment has been made, documenting all contacts, conversation, correspondence, etc. with the company, and also providing copies of your proof of payment to higher level CS or account management (if you can get hold of them), to the company's legal department, and possibly cc'd to the general manager or president's office as well. You want to make it clear to those in authority that you've made the payment and have been diligently trying to prove it. All communications should be very professional and respectful in tone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.