What can be done about a neighbor’s dead trees

My neighbors dead trees are causing damage to my property. They have no homeowner’s insurance.

Asked on September 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can take some action depending on the type of damage involved. For instance, if overhanging branches are the issue, you can trim them back to your property line. However that may not solve the problem if think that the whole tree is in danger of falling down. What you might do is to get help from a utility company if the tree is threatening to bring down electric, phone or cable lines. Additionally, city/county governments often step in and take action to make an owner take care of dangerous conditions, such as a hazardous tree on their property. If that doesn't help, you can always sue your neighbor. The legal theory would that the dead tree is a "nuisance" since it interferes with the use and enjoyment of your property. You can ask the court to order the owner to remove the tree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.