What can a passenger injured in a Collin County, TXauto accident get from the drivers’ insurance after limits have been reached?

I was in a car accident in Collin County, TX and my passenger was injured.  My insurance limit is $50,000 and the other driver’s is $50,000.  The injured passenger’s bills maybe higher than $100,000.  Who pays the balance not covered? Can they take money from bank accounts, IRA etc?  What if they retain an auto accident lawyer?

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Accident Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law, auto accidents.  If you are at fault in Collin County, Texas and your insurance policy does not cover the excess monies that were awarded, then you are personally liable for the balance of what is owed.  The judgment creditor can lien your house and take money from your bank accounts and wages. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.