What are the steps to file in a petition for summary administration?

Intestate. Do I need an attorney or can I do this myself?

Asked on December 8, 2010 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You can certainly try and do it yourself but if the estate of the decedent is very large then it may require some assistance from an attorney. You say that the decedent dies intestate.  Then the intestacy statutes in the state of Florida will govern how the property of the decedent is distributed (to which beneficiaries and in which order).  beneficiaries will have to be notified of your intent to administer the estate.  If this is a small estate then there arespecial proceedings as well, ones that are far easier than regular estate proceedings.  Check online for the forms that are necessary.  Many state court systems now have them online for easy access.  Or try your state bar association or local bar association.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.