What are the steps to changing my last name after marriage?

I am an immigrant with a citizenship certificate. My husband was born in the U.S. We were married 4 years ago. Our marriage certificate has our current names on it. I would like to change my last name to my husband’s last name. I am confused with all the information online as to which document needs a change first? The social security card or the citizenship certificate or the driver’s licence? Also, I am aware of the fee for a citizenship certificate replacement. Is there a fee waiver for low income households that i could apply to? If yes, could I apply for it first to check if I am eligible before starting the whole process of changing

name because the fee amount is big and difficult for me to afford.

me the steps to take to change my last name in the united states. Thank you for

your time.

Asked on May 16, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have already been naturalized and now you want to change your name, I believe you can simply start using your new name and systematically change it on all your official documents by showing your marriage certificate as the basis for the name change.  As for the certificate of naturalization, you do not need to change your name on it but when you are applying for your us passport, use your marriage certificate as the basis for the new name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.