What are the rights of my 17 year old daughter who gets an STD from ex boyfriend that is 19 years old?

Is there any legal recourse to have medical bills or any other options to pursue against him?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Personal Injury, Nevada


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding initiating a civil suit on behalf of your daughter for her ex-boyfriend transmitting a STD.  The transmission of a STD can have both criminal and civil ramifications.  Depending on your state, your daughter’s age may not be a factor for this type of litigation.  If she was legal age of consent for sex in your state, then not need to satisfy the requirements for statutory rape.  Additionally, depending on your state laws, she can pursue a civil case against him.  Depending on the type of sexual disease that was transmitted, the effects of the disease may have life-threatening consequences.  As such, she should be compensated for the toll it has taken, or will take, on her physical and emotional health. 

If an individual fails to disclose that they have a sexually transmitted disease, then most states will classify this as a felony, and that individual could serve eight, maybe ten, years in prison.  There are several types of claims you can pursue civilly for the individual’s failure to disclose a sexually transmitted disease, such as fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and battery.  Depending on your state, there may be additional negligence claims that you could also assert. 

There are personal injury attorneys that specialize in these matters.  Given the evidence needed to be successful on these claims, it can be very helpful to have an expert guiding you in the process.  Since your daughter may require lifelong treatment, you will need doctor reports that reflect theses opinions in order to be compensated.  For this reason, you may want to contact a personal injury attorney sooner than later.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.