What are the rights and options for a US permanent resident who has traveled outside the country and is being forced by a parent/family members to stay abroad and not return to the US?

The foreign country is Qatar and the persons not being allowed back to the US are the wife, age 47, and the children ages 5 to 18.

Asked on June 17, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean not being allowed?  By whom and in what capacity?  If a person is a permanent resident of the US and is in possession of his/her passport and green card, there is no way that someone can prevent them from entering the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.