What are the repurcussions if I abandon my mobile home?

I haven’t lived in my mobile home but I have been paying rent and it’s been killing me. I know a lot of people who leave the title on the table and abandon their mobile homes, what happens if I do that?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are renting your mobile home and there is still some months left on the lease with your landlord as opposed to a month-to-month lease, you have the option to try and sublease it to another person who would pay you the rent which you in turn could pay the landlord. This might be an option for you.

If the lease is a monthly lease, you should then terminate the lease by giving a written thirty (30) day notice to the landlord.

If you are not in a month-to-month lease and the sublease option does not work for you, if you fail to pay on the balance of the lease, the landlord could very well sue you for the unpaid rent.

Perhaps a meeting with your landlord would be in order where he or she signs a written document ending your lease and all obligations that you may owe by a certain date?

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.