What are the remedies for intentional interference with an inheritance?

There were 4 heirs to a property inheritance. The eldest daughter attempted to disinherit the others by falsifying the Will/deed. She is now dead (karma) but has successors, a husband and 6 greedy children, who feel entitled to 100% of the property. What are the remedies for the other siblings?

Asked on October 31, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and the situation.  This guidance I am going to give you can only be a starting point becuase the specifics you have listed give me cause to stop and ask a whole bunch of other questions.  Specifically, were you able to prove the real Will from the false one and has the real Will been probated?  If not, then I think you should seek legal help ASAP.  If there is a "false" Will you have to prove it was false and if a false deed have it thrown out and proceed either with the real Will or intestate.  Your Sister's share would go to her family via her Will or intestacy.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.