What are the recording laws?

I want to show evidence about what they are saying, so I want to record a conversation. In TX.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The general rule in Texas is that at least one party to a conversation must consent to the recording of the conversation.  The person who is consenting can also be the person who is doing the recording.  You indicate that you "want to show evidence about what they are saying", and you can do so if you record a conversation in which you are a party.  If one of the parties is a friend of your and consents to the records, that's enough too.  If you secretly record a conversation without the consent of at least one of the parties, then the evidence you are seeking to obtain and use later in court (or at some other proceeding) will not be admissible.  This is the general recording law in Texas.  Keep in mind, though, that some employers have rules regarding the recording of conversations--- so you may want to review your employee hand-book to make sure that you are not jeopardizing your employment through the recording.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.