What are the ramifications of changing a W2,1040 or paystub to show that the ex-spouse in order to reflect lower earnings and pay less alimony?

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is fraud on the ex-spouse; fraud on the court; and possibly a form of tax fraud (if the altered numbers in any way get picked up or used for tax purposes). It can expose the person doing it both civil (being sued) and criminal (e.g. jail time) liability, and possibly to contempt of court, and/or result in any divorce decree or order based on the altered documents being thrown out. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.