what are the procedures to file for an asylum?

Hi, I am currently a student in the US. I am in Missouri. I want to file asylum.
Do I need a lawyer for this or can I do this without a lawyer because as I am a
student I don’t have money to afford an attorney.

Asked on May 15, 2016 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are not going to use the services of an attorney, you can do it on your own but just make sure you try to do everything correctly so that there are no issues down the road.  You can go to volunteer organizations for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.