How doI go about gettng a legal separation?

My husband is too promiscuous, flirtatious, and deceitful. I cannot trust him the way that I thought I could. I am not happy with him in the same house as me. We are purchasing a home but my name is the only name on the settlement agreement and other documents. His name is not on any bills but he pays half on everything. I want a legal separation yetI want him to continue helping pay half on everything. How much will it cost? What type of paerwork is involved?

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your troubles.  I would strongly suggest that you seek legal help with all of this.  One can not advise you step by step how to get a divorce in this type of forum.

It is my understanding that Pennsylvania recognizes a legal separation, but that you have to petition the court in order to obtain one.  You can not just live separate and apart.  As for the property distribution, Pennsylvania is an equitable distribution state, meaning that marital property is divided equitably and not equally.  I will have to tell you that I doubt a court would make him continue to pay half of the bills without knowing more about your situation (are their children, how long have you been married, what do you do for a living, etc) and if I were him I would object.  As for the house purchase, if made during the marriage it is marital property regardless of whose name is on everything.  You should think twice about a purchase if he is not around to help pay for the mortgage.  The default is all on you. Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.