What are the consequences for not paying up on a insurance claim, when you were at fault in a car wreck?

I live in WI no insurance req. i didn’t have any at time, but the insurance company is after me to pay clients car, they totaled the car out to the damages amount of over 14 grand. I have discussed payments but haven’t agreed to anything, i mentioned that i have a very low income incl. that i live check to check and receive government assistance, what can i do to avoid payments for the next 14 years, i’m very desperate.

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you don't reach an agreement, you're going to be sued.  If you're found at fault in the lawsuit, there will be a judgment entered against you for as much of the $14,000+ damages as they can prove.  Once that's done, they can try to collect it from your property and income.

Ordinarily government assistance payments can't be attached directly, but if you have the money in the bank, it can be reached there by a judgment creditor.  Judgments are usually god for a very long time.  You might not be able to avoid this without bankruptcy.

You should talk to a lawyer in your area about this, for reliable advice based on all of the facts of your case.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.