What are our legal options regarding flooding caused by a neighbor?

Our next door neighbor decided this spring to raise her back yard 12″. Now every time she waters her yard it floods our yard. We have tried talking to her about watering less but she just blew us off. Now the water is coming within 2′ of our foundation. We had to dig a trench in our yard to try and run the water off but she waters so much that the trench is overflowing because the ground is so wet it wont take anymore water. Short of paying a contractor to come put in a french drain, what can we do?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Seek legal help here asap.  You need to have an attorney bring an action to enjoin her (restrain her) from any further action until the matter can be rectified.  You need to see if what she did vilolated any of the local laws and ordinances.  Did she need a permit?  Any angle to see how you can resolve the matter.  She can not "improve" her property to your detriment.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.