What are my rights in a divorce?

I’m not sure what to do. My husband has already kicked our son our of the house who is 18 years old. He wants a divorce. He has been emailing these girls and telling them he loves them he can’t wait to be with them. I was wondering will he have to pay alimony, child support? We have been married 16 years. He just took all the money out our account and transferred to another one. Our son had been going through counseling for years. He doesn’t have the mental capacity to make it on his own. He said he only married me because i was pregnant with our son. I have this piddly job.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From the circumstances that you have written about the family situation you are in, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss what legal recourse you may have as to your husband pending the possible divorce proceedings that are pending.

From what you have written, you may be entitled to spousal support for a certain period of time and half of all marital property that you and the spouse have. The spouse would not be required to pay child support because your son is 18 years of age and an adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.