What are my rights if the rate that I was hired at is different then what is shown on my check?

I was hired at 10.50 an hour. However, I quit because what they said I was going to be paid wasn’t what I got, which was 9.50 an hour. Is that legal?

Asked on December 2, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had an employment contract or union agreement, you were an "at will" worker. This means that your company could have changed the terms and conditions of your employment (including your pay rate) at most any time/for any reason, even if you had a mutually agreed upon wage. That having been said, this is true as long as your pay decrease was not applied retroactively. In other words, it could not have been applied for work that you already performed. Accordingly, if you were paid less without notice of the reduction, you can file a wage claim with your state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.