What are my rights if I was hot by an uninsured driver?

I don’t have insurance either.

Asked on March 25, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, your only remedy is to either get the at-fault driver to agree to pay for your damages or sue them in court. However, if they couldn't afford auto insurance, they may well not be able to pay any judgement that you may be awarded by the court. That having been said, if you can find out where they are employed, you may be able to garnish their wages until the amount that they owe you is paid off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.