What are my rights if employer terminated my medical insurance without my authorization but is continuing to deduct the premiums from my pay?

About 2 months ago, my employer termed my medical coverage without my knowledge or authorization but is continuing to deduct the premiums for medical coverage. Since this has occurred I have close to $100,000 in medical claims after a second open heart procedure and am currently unable to access medical care due to this issue.

Asked on May 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for the coverage you paid for and should have received (i.e, to make the company pay any amounts or claims that should have been covered by your insurance). If they offered you coverage and accepted consideration (your portion of the premium) for it, they should be contractually obligated to provide the coverage, even if they now have to do so out of their own pocket. Given what you are going through medically, you may wish to hire an attorney to represent you, rather than having to do this yourself. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.