What are my rights as a business owner losing money while waiting for a contractor to finish my buildout?

A 6 week project has taken 8 months and we
are no where ready to open? My Contractor
has no money to complete the project and my
landlord will not give the promised completion
amount until the job is completed.

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the delay is due to someone's fault or negligence, or a breach of their contractual obligations--e.g. the contractor has been too slow to do the work, hasn't hired enough staff, is incompetent, ran out of funding, lied about or overpromised what he could do, etc.; or your landlord improperly denied the contractor access to do work--then you could potentially sue the at-fault party to recover any amounts you are owed or any losses you can prove (which can be tough, with lost income, if you are a new business) you incurred. 
1) Party A's fault would not absolve you of your responsiblility to party B; so if the contractor is at fault, that doesn't affect your obligations to the landlord under your lease or any other agreements--you can be held to your obligations even if you can't meet them due to forces or acts beyond your control.
2) If no one is at fault--e.g. the problem was bad weather, or unexpected problems to be addressed, or changes you made to the design/job scope that extended the project--then you cannot recover compensation from anyone else; you can only look to negligent parties or parties who breach their contractual obligations for compensation.
You should speak with an attorney in detail about the situation, to see what your options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.