What are my options if I find my name on the company search engine?

I was recently told by a manager from a different location and state that while he was glad to meet me, he has also read interesting things about me. So when I returned to my work location, I entered my name into the company search engine and found caution letters, memo-for-records and verbal corrective action reports by my current manager thatoccurred years earlier. I have been applying for job openings and now I’m wondering if this has had an impact. Also, the letters and records do not state the actual circumstances for which the reported incident occurred. What can I do?

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, other than certain confidential information (i.e. SSN, finacial or medical information), the is no legal prohibition about what an employer can or cannot post regarding a worker's personnel file. That is absent a union agreement or employment contract to the contrary. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal restriction about posting elements of your personnel file or disciplinary history (other than a few obvious things: e.g. your social security number, medical issues, bank account information, etc.) on a company system or website; what you describe is something they can do, and there is nothing you can do about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.