What are my options if an accident was the other party’s fault yet they have spun an implausible scenario that their insurance company has taken as the truth?

The police at the scene filed no report (partly on my naivety as to how these were handled, never been in an accident before). So all I have is his word against mine. From the statement he made to my insurance company there is no way possible for the incident to happen they way he described. Now I’m stuck paying to get my car fixed. Is there anything legally I can do?

Asked on November 26, 2013 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue him, if you believe he was at fault, for your losses (such as the cost to repair your car); you could also sue your insurance company if you believe that they are violating their obligations to pay you when they should. You would sue him for negligence (driving carelessly); you would sue the insurer for breach of contract (since that is what an insurance policy is--a contract--and they have to pay under the terms and conditions of the policy).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.