What are my legal options if my employer has made deductions for insurance but kept the money and now my insurance has been cancelled?

My employer has not paid our health insurance premiums premiums since April but has deducted it from our check. He has also deducted but not paid towards out 401k either. We just found out our health insurance was cancelled 07/01. My husband has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer and has surgery scheduled for tomorrow that has now been postponed because of no insurance. What are my options towards my employer? My husband’s health is now at risk because of postponing this surgery.

Asked on September 16, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to get an attorney involved in this.  You can not put your Husband's health at risk and need to go through with the surgery as soon as possible.  So you are going to have to contact the State Department of Insurance, the State Attorney General's Office and start a suit against your employer for insurance fraud and I am sure many other causes of action that your attorney will be able to come up with.  You also need to report him criminally, although the State Department of Insurance may in fact be able to take that on.  You may have to sign a personal guarantee for the surgery so that he can have it but you will have a suit over and against your employer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.