What are my options in receiving financial compensation for a back injury sustained at work that has affected my ability to work and even to walk?

I ruptured a disc in my lower back about 1 1/2 years ago while at work. I was partially paralyzed for 3 months and still have limited mobility and strength. I can no longer do even mildly strenuous work. Is there any legal recourse to help me financially? I am almost 55 years old. I can no longer hike, run, cycle, lift anything off the ground, climb ladders, or even walk very far without the aid of a cane. I did have back problems prior to the injury at Lowe’s, but I was able to do almost anything I wanted. Now I’m almost unemployable due to my physical limitations.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You indicated that you ruptured a disc in your lower back 1 1/2 years ago while at work.  You did not indicate whether you ever filed a workers compensation claim, or whether you reported your injury to your employer wiithin one year, or whether you ever consulted with an attorney.  There is a statute of limitation in Georgia during which you must take certain action.  I hope that you have taken steps to protect your rights.  You should immediately contact an experienced attorney.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.