What are my options if there are medical costs and my case is closed?

I was in an accident in 2013. My case was closed in 2016 without the law firm informing me. Now the medical costs from physical therapy are showing up and I need to know what my options are before this begins to affect my credit.

Asked on September 17, 2018 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

There is not enough information in your question to answer it, since much depends on why and how it was closed. Was it voluntarily dismissed by your attorney--if so, why? Was it dismissed by the court after a motion by the other side and, if so, what it a dismissal for procedural reasons (e.g. wrong paperwork; late filing) or "on the merits" of the case? Was it a dismissal without prejudice (you can refile) or with prejudice (it is competely over and done with)? Etc. First, ask the law firm for information and documentation about why and how it was closed. Then, if not satisfied with their explanation, go to another attorney to explore both if your case can be reopened--and/or if you can or should sue the first lawyer/law firm for malpractice, such as failing to keep you informed, making decisions for you without your consent, losing the case by failing to file documents in time, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.