What are my options if a body shop hasn’t finish repairing my truck after 1 1/2 years and it’s been paid?

The owner has now sold his shop and says he has the truck at his house to finish. We don’t know this. Every time my husband asks to see it he gives him the same old line and when we press the issue about seeing it, something always comes up. The insurance company paid $5000; we paid $2500. Can we report it stolen? Is there any point to small claims court? At this point, I’d just like to get it back and be done with it. Any time we say that, he says, “Oh no no. I’ll get it done”.

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might want to report the owner of the company to your state's bureau of automotive repairs. This entity is in charge of regulating auto repair shops and fielding consumer complaints.

Your other option is to bring a small claims court action against the owner of the company. one and a half years to repair a vehicle that is not a "total loss" is way too long.There is no basis for you to report the truck stolen because it is not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.