What are my options about not testifying in my boyfriend’s criminal trial for armed robbery?

My boyfriend was charged with 2 counts of robbery one armed robbery. I basically snitched on him. I do not wish to testify if asked. My boyfriend said his lawyer said I am the main witness. What do I do to not have to testify?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are subpoenaed to testify at the criminal trial of your boyfriend you are required under the laws of all states to attend and give testify. Failure to attend after being personally served with a subpoena will result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest.

Your only option to not testify is to appear and invoke your 5th Amendment privilege against self incrimination under the United States Constitution. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your matter further as to how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.