What are my legal rights regarding damage done to my property by my neighbor’s repairman?

I own a home and about a month a ago my neighbor needed some work done to her sewer line. The man that was going to do it knocked on my door. He told me that they wanted to run her sewer line to the road and it ran under my drive way and if he could dig and put the

pipes down. He said it was a easy job and he would put everything back properly and nicely. I was hesitant but I allowed him to do it. The first day he cut my cable line and I had to get them to come out and fix it. The cable man said he should call before he dig. It took him weeks to finish. Now my yard is not even with dirt, I have water in the yard when it rains and he uprooted a few hedges without permission and didn’t replace them. My next door neighbor never came to discuss the work only the man. I went over to ask for his number and she said she would give it to me when she got back from work but never did. What legal actions can I take to get my yard back the way it was?

Asked on March 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the plumber and his employer for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable plumber would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Your damages (monetary compensation  you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of restoration of your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.