What are my legal rights if I have roommates that are not living with me legally?

I rent my house from a company who rents it out for the owner of the house. I have 2 roommates who live with me and my husband and have been for about 5 months. The problem is that they are not on lease agreement and the company does not know. Hindsight obviously should have never let them live. What are my options to get them out of my house. If I go to the company I may get evicted. If I lock them out change the locks might be illegal and if it is not they could turn me into the leasing company as well. We all 4 signed a contract that details the term of them living with me and my husband stating how much they have to pay month to month and what they are responsible for. What can I do?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Speak with an attorney--this is a complex case. Even if you are violating the terms of your own lease by having these people living with you, if you have a lease with them--the contract you mention--they are subtenants of yours. In that case, I believe that you can only evict them through the courts--if you lock them out, you will be committing an illegal eviction, and could be liable to them. But as you note, you want to preserve your own tenancy. You need an attorney's help to resolve this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.