What are my legal responsibilities with respect to spousal support?

My wife has left the state with our 4 year old, leaving 2 teens behind. I am the sole bread winner. No separation papers have been signed and she has been gone a week.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney concerning the matter that you have written about to discuss what your legal options are with respect to your children and possible spousal support issues. From there, the attorney will proceed with your instructions after you have understood what the current family situation with your wife leaving you entails from a legal standpoint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.