what are my legal grounds on a false terrorisric charge 3rd degree.

i went to court on a citation, not a warrant for this charge. the commonwealth attorney tried to get the person to drop the charge, but wouldn’t. i pleaded not guilty because i am innocent. i have to go to trial in a couple of months. i have wittness that can testify on my behalf i was no where near this person on the night in question. if this person has no evidence against mewhere do i stand and do i need a lawyer to reprsent me.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes you need an attorney.  This is is a criminal charge and nothing to fool around with.

It sounds as though you have a sympathetic prosecutor.  Hire an attorney who knows this court system; in other words one who is local.  He will most probably know the people in the prosecutor's office.  Hopefully they can work out some arrangement that is most beneficial to you.  The case does not sound like a strong one.

But don't wait; these things are more easily handled early on.  Frankly, I don't know why you have waited so long.  This is a matter that could leave you with a criminal record.  Take care of this.

If money is an issue than contact the public defender or legal aid.  But whatever you do, do it now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.