What are my grandmas rights in a divorce?

My elderly grandma is wanting to leave her
husband. In MO what are laws regarding
divorce? Their house is paid for and he has
several bank accounts that shes not on.
Theyve been married 14years. Is she entitled
to any of his money or some sort of alimony???

Asked on March 10, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

1) Home, bank accounts, etc.: to oversimplify, she has a right to a share of any assets (property, money) acquired during marriage other than anything he inherited or which was given as a gift solely to him. She does not have a right to anything he had or owned pre-marriage. She keep anything she owned or had pre-marriage, or which was inherited by or gifted to her.
2) If he has been supporting her (either entirely, or bringing in much more of the household's money than her) during the marriage, she will likely get alimony or spousal support. If they have earned about the same (e.g. both are on similar social security as their main income), she will probably not get alimony or get only a very small amount.
The above are just very broad guidelines: to better understand her situation and rights, your grandmother should consult with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.