What are my custody options if my husband has a sex addiction?

My husband and I married in a ceremony 4 months ago. The license was not valid so we married again last month. Since then I have found evidence of infidelity on his part (non-physical) and evidence of a sexual addiction. I am 8 weeks pregnant. What are my options as far as custody of our child. I also would like to keep my wedding ring. Is that possible?

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Okay so you have a lot of things going on here so let's start with the last question asked.  The wedding ring/engagement ring is generally thought to be a gift from one party to the other.  Some states view it as a conditional gift, conditioned on the parties getting married.  So this comes up as an issue when there is a broken engagement.  But you got married.  Twice.  So I would err on the side of keeping it.  Next, as for custody of the unborn child, the general rule there is that courts award custody "in the best interests of the child."   You are claiming here that you husband is an addict in some form or another.  That would have to be addressed in a custody hearing and made part of the record and part of your argument as to what you think is the best custody. And that need to be discussed with your lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.