What are likely the consequences for failure to stop and give information after hitting the car in front of me?

Could my previous record complicate things? I was arrested and went to prison 8 years ago for driving under the influence DWI. What should I do I received a letter from the local sheriff’s office giving me 10 days to call them and tell them my side of the story?

Asked on November 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney in your area about helping you handle this.  You can not lie and no attorney will tell you otherwise.  Generally speaking, it is breakingthe law for ailing to stop and report an accident.  Although your past record could be a problem it does not sound like it would be an obstacle that could not be overcome by a good lawyer in this scenario.  There should not be an assumption that you were driving under the influence now becuase of then, if that is what you mean.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.