What are grounds for terminating a year lease?

The front door is able to be broken into easily and the electrical wiring has problems. The landlord doesn’t promptly take action to fixing things.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether you can terminate the lease, that answer is contained in the language of the lease. However, you can set up an escrow bank account and place your rent money in the escrow account. You would then notify the landlord by both certified mail and regular mail that your rent was paid into an escrow account until he makes the repairs. You must in your letter specifically identify the name and address of the bank and the account number of the escrow account  ( an account separate from all of your other bank accounts ). Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.