What are a land owner’s rights when a relative is allowed to live on a portion of the land? Can the relative claim the portion after X # of years?

My husband allowed his brother and sister-in-law to move a mobile home on part of our land almost three years ago. It was supposed to be a temporary situation, but they are in no rush to find their own land. They are also using our deep well (two households are operating from one well). My husband did not want his brother to sign an agreement initially, which was a huge mistake, in my opinion. We have a nice, cozy 3000 sq. ft. home, which is only separated by a few trees. Their place looks trashy, the home is run-down, and there are stray dogs everywhere. Legally, what should we do?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and pratice in this area of the law.  I suggest that you talk with your husband and make a decision to evict them from the property.  These people are not paying rent and are required to leave if you serve them with eviction papers.  This will disrrupt the family harmony, but if they are ruining your lives, then you need to have a chat with them and let them know that if they dont leave you will have no choice but to take legal action. I also suggest hiring a lawyer if they wont leave voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.