Who should I sue?

I rented out a trike (motor scooter) to a friend and she crashed into a gas station store door window. I’ve been charged with the damages of the scooter an the damage of a glass door of the gas station she hit while driving the scooter alone. Can I sue my her if she refuses to pay me for the damages? Also, am I liable and should be getting charged for the door she hit if I wasn’t even with her? Lastly, the deposit slip that I have was changed from a scooter to a trike over the copied deposit slip (non pen copy) with pen and I never resigned, is this a loophole I can use to sue the company?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you had rented out a vehicle and loaned it to someone and that person damaged the vehicle and other property, you are potentially liable for all that damage (to scooter and window)--the person with lawful possession of a vehicle is liable for damage done by anyone he/she loaned it to.

You could sue your friend to recover the amount you have to pay or any other losses or costs you experience.

The slight correction on the paperwork you describe has no legal effect and will not let you sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.